Sunday, November 14, 2010

French Fries Science Experiment

While I was catching up on bookkeeping work at home on Sunday, Henri went shopping with his mom and stopped for lunch at McDonald's, so I asked them to bring me back an order of fries. Henri loves science experiments these days. I know this one has been done before on TV and documentaries, but I thought it might be interesting to try it for ourselves. Typically, the regular fries get mouldy quite quickly while the McDonald's fries somehow remain intact for months. I have seen this test done in open-air plates and in enclosed jars. In order to prevent potentially unpleasant odours, I opted for the jar method. I placed the Golden Arches fries in one jar and sacrificed (in the name of science) some of my own delicious home-made Yukon Gold fries in the other jar. As the experiment unfolds, it should provide opportunities to explore a wide variety of topics such as agriculture, mould, nutrition (food groups, carbs, preservatives, balanced diet), etc. I will take photos and add them to this post as needed.

Day 1


Day 5
Some micro-organisms have apparently taken a liking to my Yukon Gold fries. No activity yet on the Golden Arches fries' side.


Day 6
The condensation in the right jar was obstructing our view so we decided to partially remove both lids for about 6 hours. The left jar smelled like freshly bought McDonald's fries. The odour on the right side, although not offensive, smelled a bit like a damp basement. I took this photo at the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment